Smithsonian Microbeam Standards
- Standard availability and request form (.xlsx)
- Smithsonian Microbeam Standard Datasheets
- How to make a polished standard mount
- Frequently asked questions
The Jarosewich microbeam reference materials
Largely because of the work of Eugene Jarosewich, reference samples for microbeam analysis have been characterized and distributed worldwide. As of 2002, 750 requests totaling about 11,000 samples have been made. Although not technically standards, these reference materials are referred to as the Smithsonian Microbeam Standards (SMS). A short history of the SMS by Gene (Jarosewich 2002) and other publications relating to these materials can be found at the links and references below.
Availability and standard materials requests
The Smithsonian Microbeam Standards are available free of charge. The Smithsonian Institution Department of Mineral Sciences should be acknowledged in any publication in which the standard materials have been used. Refer to the materials in publications by the letters NMNH or USNM (as listed) followed by the catalog number (example: NMNH 137041). Because there is a limited quantity of each standard, please request only materials required for your study. Some materials are in short supply and will become unavailable in the future.
To request reference materials, fill out the SMS Availability and Request Form and e-mail the completed form to Tim Rose. If you have additional questions, contact Tim Rose or Leslie Hale of the Department of Mineral Sciences. You will be required to sign, date and return the indicated copy of the shipping invoice to the Smithsonian Institution acknowledging receipt of the materials.
- Jarosewich (2002) Smithsonian Microbeam Standards [Full Text]
- Jarosewich (miscellaneous) [Full Text]
- Jarosewich et al.(1980) Reference Samples for Electron Microprobe Analysis
- Jarosewich and McIntyre (1983) Carbonate Reference Samples for Electron Microprobe and Scanning Electron Microscope Analysis
- Jarosewich and White (1987) Strontianite Reference Sample for Electron Microprobe and SEM Analyses
- Jarosewich et al. (1987) Chromium Augite- A New Microprobe Reference Sample
- Jarosewich and Boatner (1991) Rare-Earth Element Reference Samples for Electron Microprobe Analysis
- Carpenter et al., (2002) Characterization of Corning EPMA Standard Glasses 95IRV, 95IRW, and 95IRX [Full Text]
- Vicenzi et al. (2002) Microbeam Characterization of Corning Archeological Reference Glasses: A New Addition to the Smithsonian Microbeam Standard Collection [Full Text]
- Donovan et al. (2002) Contamination in the Rare-Earth Element Orthophosphate Reference Samples [Full Text]
- Donovan et al. (2003) A re-examination of the rare-earth-element orthophosphate standards in use for electron-microprobe analysis. Canadian Mineralogist Vol.41, pp. 221-232.
- Zircon, NMNH 117288. [Full Text]